Saturday 20 August 2011

Reflections Chapter 1


Reflection on Chapter 1
After reading Chapter 1, there were 3 areas that I was interested to explore and learn more about.  They were the 5 content standards, 5 process standards and the topic on becoming a teacher of Mathematics.
It is stated on Page 4 that the 5 process standards problem solving, reasoning and proof, communication, connections and representation should not be regarded as separate content and seen as integral components of all mathematics learning and teaching.
It was interesting to read the 5 content standards that the authors had selected to use across all grades in the book as it made it easier for me to see how each content built onto each other at different grade.  I was able to see the level of difficulty growing in each of the contents when I glanced through Chapters 8 to 23. Previously  when I was a teacher, I used to receive different topics(content) for different levels.  Every content will end at that level itself.  It would not be easy building the different contents into different grades as it would require a very skilful curriculum planner and a teacher who loves maths to be able to do that.
I have always found it hard to be a positive Math teacher. I fared only moderately in Math papers ever since Secondary school.  Till now, I find it tough to teach concepts especially to those who are weak. Coming out with different strategies to teach and help children understand the basic foundation has been a mindboggling issue for me. Reading the section on attitudes of a Math teacher gave me an understanding on how i should be setting my mind first before I can carry on teaching Math comfortably. The section on Positive attitude affected me the most as that reflected why I am this way now. I hope i will move out of that zone by the end of the module. So hope to read more into Chapters 8 to 23 and learn more tips on teaching the content topics.


No comments:

Post a Comment